Monday, May 7, 2012

Crystals!

With it being closer to the end of the year, everything has been crazy! I was gone for pretty much the whole lab, but when Mr. Ludwig got back I made it up, with all of the other people who missed it too.
    The procedures for this labe were:
  1. Obtain a good amount of distilled water and put it in a beaker.
  2. Put aliminun potassium sulfate annd mix in distilled water until it is supersaturated.
  3. After stirring, there were still crystals in the bottom of the beaker, so we then set it on a hotplate to let the crystals disolve, while stirring every couple minutes.
  4. While the the aliminum potassium sulfate is on the hotplate, keep adding potassium sulfate until it is supersaturated as well.
  5. Then we were supposed to let the mixture cool over night, but I did it all in one day, so i let it get cool enough to add my sea crystal on the string.
  6. I then let the crystal sit over night in the potassium sulfate solution.
      The Next day that I came into class, My crystal had grown bigger, and a much smaller crystal had grown on the string a little ways from the bigger crystal that was tied to the string. I had a lot of fun learning how to make crystal :)

No comments:

Post a Comment